Guy Cooks With Kids: E.J. and Guy's Pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup cubed grilled chicken
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whole wheat penne rigotte, cooked al dente and strained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
Preheat a saute pan over high heat, add the olive oil and allow to come up to a high temperature. Add the onions and cook until slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the sausage and red bell peppers, making sure to move the pan around and to continue stirring for even cooking. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and broccoli and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. (The garlic should take on a golden color, but be sure to not let it burn.) Stir in the chopped chicken and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
Deglaze the pan by adding the chicken stock. Stir around to coat all the ingredients. Add the pasta to the pan, stir to coat and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cream sprinkle in the cheese and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and spinach. Remove the pasta from the heat.
Pour the pasta onto a plate, top with the tomatoes and more cheese, if desired.
Guy Fieri worked closely with kids to come up with the recipes for the Cooking with Kids project.
The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.