Fried Red Fish
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 whole black sea bass with head and tail, scaled and cleaned, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semolina, or masa harina (coarse flour)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
In a medium Dutch oven add enough canola oil that fish is submerged by 1-inch of oil, and heat oil to 350 degrees F.
Cut 3 slices into the flesh of the fish, approximately 2-inches apart, or equal spacing between head and tail.
Hold fish by the tail and open cuts fully and season with the salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Repeat with the other side of the fish.
Mix flours and cornstarch, liberally dredge fish, except tail. Using tongs, place fish, head first into oil, insuring that fish stays upright.
Cook for 10 minutes or until fish is done.
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri