- 1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) chicken
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Marinade, recipe follows
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Mojito Glaze, recipe follows
Remove backbone of chicken with poultry shears; flatten chicken out by pressing firmly on skin part of chicken so it will sit evenly in a pan.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Combine all the dry spices and rub chicken with spice mixture, especially under the skin. Put into a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the marinade, then add chicken to marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess marinade. In a large saute pan over medium to high heat, add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. When oil is hot, place chicken skin side down and sear.
When skin is golden brown flip chicken and add 1/2 cup of marinade into pan; place pan in oven and cook the chicken for 25 minutes or until chicken has internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Remove the chicken from oven and brush with Mojito Glaze. Place chicken under broiler for 5 minutes. Remove from broiler, cut and serve immediately with more glaze on the side.