- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce, plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red pepper, seeded, membrane removed, julienned
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 large head Napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 medium head purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shaved bamboo shoots, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 recipes Chinese Crepes with Scallions, recipe follows
- 3 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
- 1 small bunch scallions, finely shaved
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving, optional
- Sriracha, for serving, optional
Whisk the hoisin, soy, mirin, sesame oil, garlic and ginger in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sliced chicken and toss to coat evenly. Marinate the chicken, covered, at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
Once 5 minutes of marinating time remains, heat a large wok or skillet over high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the canola oil to heat. Using a slotted spoon, strain the chicken add to the very hot wok or skillet. Cook, allowing it to brown, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and the onion slices, allowing them to soften, another minute. Next, add the cabbages and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until just browning, about 2 minutes. Push the chicken and vegetables to the side of the wok and stir in the mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Remove from the heat and set aside, keeping warm.
Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add the beaten eggs to the skillet, allowing to scramble, 2 to 3 minutes. Once cooked, break up the eggs with a rubber spatula and add to the chicken. Toss to combine.
Spread about 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce on each Chinese Crepes with Scallions. Top with some mu shu chicken, sesame seeds and scallions. Add cilantro leaves if desired. Roll up like a crepe and serve with Sriracha if desired.
Chinese Crepes with Scallions:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- Nonstick cooking spray
Heat a crepe pan or 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Very lightly coat the skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle in 1/4 cup of the batter. Gently rotate the skillet for a few seconds, swirling the batter to create a thin, even layer over the bottom. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons scallions to each pancake at this point. Cook the pancake until the underside is pale and just firmed up, about 1 minute.
Flip the pancake over and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the skillet and transfer to a plate and cover with a kitchen towel. Continue with the rest of the batter until all the pancakes have been made. Keep warm until ready to serve.