Red Quinoa and Citrus Salad
- 3/4 cup red quinoa
- Juice of 3 limes (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup Cara Cara or navel orange segments, pith removed (see Cook's Note)
- 1/2 cup 1/4-inch-diced peeled and trimmed jicama
- 1/4 cup 1/4-inch-diced red onion
- 1/2 cup toasted, sliced almonds, plus extra for garnish
Rinse the quinoa in a strainer several times with cold water. Bring 1 1/4 cups water to boil in a medium saucepot with a tightly fitted lid. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer until the grains display a thread-like spiral and the water is fully absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Fluff with two forks and transfer to a large glass mixing bowl to cool. Set aside.
Combine the lime juice, agave nectar, jalapeno, garlic and cumin in a glass mixing bowl, whisking briskly. Drizzle in the oil slowly, continuing to whisk. Once the vinaigrette is smooth and slightly thickened, whisk in the 1/2 cup cilantro and the lime zest. Season with salt.
Place the oranges, jicama, onions, almonds and remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro in a medium mixing bowl. Pour in about half of the cilantro lime vinaigrette and gently toss. Fold into the quinoa. Drizzle in the remaining vinaigrette, and toss to combine thoroughly. Season with salt.