Spicy Seasoned Plantain Chips
- 4 to 6 yellow (unripe) plantains
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch ground allspice
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground clove
- Canola oil, for deep frying
Place the plantains in a bowl of cold water to soak for 30 to 40 minutes (this will help make them easier to peel).
Preheat a large pot of canola oil to 350 degrees F.
Peel the plantains and, using a mandolin, finely slice lengthwise. Working in batches, deep fry the plantain slices in the hot oil until golden and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
Once all of the plantain slices are fried, toss them in the toasted spice mixture and serve.
While frying, do not overcrowd the pot with too plantain slices or they will not crisp up.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri