The Mean Green
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Reserved 1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced, with a mandoline
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced with a mandoline
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cups canola oil
In a medium bowl, combine flour and seasonings. When green beans have been in the oven 25 minutes, in a large frying pan, heat canola oil to 350 degrees F. While oil is heating, dredge drained onion and shallots in flour mixture. Drop carefully into the hot oil, 1/3 at a time. They will cook rapidly, 1 minute or less. Turn over if necessary. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let oil heat between batches.
When timer goes off for green beans, take out of oven, top with onion-shallot mixture, evenly coating the casserole, place back into oven and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Remove and let set 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, July 2007