Guy's Gumbo Shack - Red Beans and Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced green pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 pounds smoked sausage (we use Conecuh Sausage)
- 6 (14-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- Cooked white rice, for serving
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add all ingredients except beans and rice and saute until vegetables are soft. Add beans and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat. Use hand blender or potato masher to mash beans until approximately 50 percent of the beans remain intact. Serve over cooked white rice.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.