Harira Ramadam: Soup of Fava Beans and Lentils
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 pound beef, preferably diced fillet
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 bunch chopped lovage, optional
- 10 vine tomatoes, peeled and seeded, grated or chopped finely
- 1/2 cup rice or crushed vermicelli
- 1 cup water flour mixture (1 tablespoon flour dissolved in 1 cup water)
- 1 cup fava beans, soaked and drained
- 1 cup lentils (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Serving suggestion: bread and sweet dates
Place the following into a deep saucepan and cover with water; chickpeas, chopped onion, spices, meat. Bring to the boil and simmer until the chickpeas are tender.
Then, add the herbs, pulped tomatoes, and rice. After about 5 minutes add the water flour mixture, this helps the soup thicken and lighten in color. Finally add the fava beans, and lentils, if adding. Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt.
Drizzle with olive oil and serve with bread and sweet dates.