Harvest Spice Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening (recommended: Crisco)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup prepared applesauce
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups oatmeal, ground in a food processor
- 3 cups dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 cups pecan halves
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter, shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time until blended. Add vanilla and applesauce until combined. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and oats. Add to butter mixture and mix well. With a rubber spatula, fold in the cranberries and pecans. Scoop with 2 1/2-inch ice cream scoop onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Place the dough balls 2 inches apart and bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Dionna Hurt, Longwood, Florida