- 3/4 c milk
- 8-ounces fresh corn kernels
- 4-ounces butter, melted
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10-ounces grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- 3-5 Hatch Green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 4-ounces green onions, chopped
- 4-ounces celery, chopped
- 3- ounces dried figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup pinon nuts
- 1 cup chicken stock
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
In a medium-sized bowl stir together milk, corn, butter and eggs.
In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add mixture from the medium-sized bowl to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in the cheese and chile.
Pour into the baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool and tear it into small pieces and allow to dry over night.
In a saute pan, saute the onions, celery, figs and pinon nuts until golden brown. Add the corn bread mixture and stock and mix until just combined. Keep warm.