- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices pineapple, cored
- 4 ounces country ham, diced
- 9 green olives stuffed with pimentos
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon minced freeze-dried pineapples
- 1/4 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon zest
- Salt and ground black pepper
Spicy Pickle Cherry Salad:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20 green beans
- 9 maraschino cherries, minced
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 slices maple-cured ham, cut on the diagonal to create a triangle-esque shape
- 4 dried pineapple rings
- 12 whole maraschino cherries
- Special equipment: 1 1/2-to-2-inch wide by 2-inch deep ring mold and 4-inch wooden skewers
For the ham salad: Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Grill the pineapple slices so there are hatch marks on each side. Transfer the pineapple to a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the fridge to cool.
In a food processor, pulse the ham until coarsely chopped and transfer to a medium bowl. Chop the green olives in the food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer the olives to the ham and add the mayo, freeze-dried pineapple, ginger and lemon zest. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
For the spicy pickle cherry salad: In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions. Saute until slightly translucent. Add the vinegar, salt, cayenne, pepper flakes and garlic and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and add the green beans, minced maraschino cherries and a pinch of black pepper. Let steep for 5 minutes, and then let cool.
Fill a deep skillet 1/4-inch deep with oil and heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Fry the ham slices until they become slightly browned and starts to curl up at the edges, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Assemble the skewers with pieces of ham, dried pineapple rings and 3 whole cherries.
Cut the grilled pineapple ring using the ring mold. Place the pineapple in the bottom of the mold and top with ham salad to fill halfway. Layer the spicy pickle cherry salad on the ham salad. Remove the mold and top with a skewer.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.