Hawaii Da Kine Burger
- Ginger Goat Cheese Spread:
- 4 ounces garlic chive or garlic flavored goat cheese, (recommend: Surfing Goat Dairy Rolling Green)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 3 ounces spicy Hawaiian Portuguese sausage ( can substitute Portuguese Sausage or linguica)
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/3 cup minced ripe papaya
- 1/3 cup minced Maui onion or other sweet onion
- 5 tablespoons Asian style spiced sea salt
- Sweet Chili Glaze:
- 2/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons shoyu (Japanese soy sauce), preferably Yamasa
- Hot Watercourse Salad:
- 3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil (can substitute peanut oil)
- 2 small Hass avocados, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, preferably Meyer
- 1/2 ripe papaya coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chopped watercress
- 2 small Maui onions or other sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 Large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons shoyu (Japanese soy sauce) Preferably Yamasa
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 6 seeded hamburger buns or sandwich rolls, split
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or prepare a gas grill to medium-high.
To make the spread combine the cheese, mayonnaise, and ginger in a small bowl, cover and sit aside.
To make the patties, place the sausage in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and add the chuck, papaya, onion, and spiced sea salt. Combine well, handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it. Form into 6 patties and refrigerate until ready to grill.
To make the glaze, combine the sweet chili sauce and shoyu in a small bow. Set aside.
To make the salad, pour the oil into a fireproof skillet and heat on the grill until it reaches its smoking point. While the oil is heating, half the avocado slices and place in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and toss gently. Layer the papaya, watercress, onions, garlic and pepper flakes over avocado and carefully drizzle the hot oil over the top. Add the Shoyu and toss to continue.
Brush the grill rack with oil. Place the patties on the rack, and cover, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side, basting often with the glaze until the desired doneness is reached. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns cut sides down on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
To assemble the burgers, spread the goat cheese spread over the cut sides of the bun tops. Place a patty on each bun bottom and top with equal portions of the salad. Add the bun tops and devour.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.