- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canned fried onions
In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, sweat the onions in the butter. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2 to 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and season with the cayenne, salt, and pepper, to taste. Fold in the bacon bits.
Preheat the grill to high heat.
Blanch the green beans in salted boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove to an ice bath for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the ice bath, drain, and pat dry with a paper towel when cool. Toss the green beans in the extra-virgin olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Grill for 3 minutes.
Place the green beans on a plate and top with the mushroom sauce and fried onions.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.