- 1 package whole-wheat or gluten free macaroni, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, cut into small cubes, boiled and pureed
- 1 cup low-fat organic milk
- 1 tablespoons organic butter or butter alternative
- 3 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup grated or shredded part-skim Cheddar (preferably sharp)
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded part-skim jack cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small amount shredded Parmesan, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Put butternut squash puree in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the milk, butter, and yogurt and continue to stir until incorporated. When the puree begins to simmer, slowly start adding the cheeses, mixing the entire time. When all of the cheese is melted and the sauce begins to thicken, season with a little salt and pepper, to taste. Taste, and continue to add seasoning until desired flavor is achieved.
When the flavor is spot-on, stir in 1/4 of the macaroni at a time, until all of the pasta is used.
When all of the pasta is saturated with the cheese sauce, transfer the mixture to an
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Jesse Brune, 2010