HERB CRUSTED SEARED TUNA WITH WASABI MAYONNAISE, GINGER CONFIT ON ENDIVE
- 2 pounds thickly sliced sashimi-grade tuna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cracked pink and green peppercorns
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 1 medium piece fresh peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 to 4 Belgian endives
Have tuna sliced as thick as possible cutting against the grain into 1 1/2-inch rectangular pieces. Rub the fish with olive oil and roll in thyme, peppercorns, salt, and pepper. On a very hot grill sear the fish on each side for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending upon the desired doneness. Set aside and slice into 1-inch thick pieces.
For wasabi mayonnaise, start with 1 tablespoon of wasabi powder mixed with mayonnaise and add more, if desired, to taste.