- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 carton (26 ounces) Swanson® Chicken Stock (Regular orUnsalted) (about 3¼ cups)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1. Remove the package of giblets and neck from the turkey cavity. Rinse the turkey with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Tie the ends of the drumsticks together.
2. Place the turkey, breast-side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush the turkey with the oil. Season with the salt and black pepper. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone.
3. Stir the stock, lemon juice, basil, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon additional black pepper in a large bowl. Reserve 1 3/4 cups stock mixture for the gravy. Pour the remaining stock mixture over the turkey.
4. Roast at 325°F. for 3 hours or until the thermometer reads 165°F., basting occasionally with the pan drippings. Begin checking for doneness after 2 1/2 hours of the roasting time.
5. Remove the turkey from the pan, cover and keep warm. Spoon off any fat and pour off all but 1 1/2 cups pan drippings.
6. Stir the reserved stock mixture and the flour in a medium bowl until the mixture is smooth. Add the flour mixture to the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Season, if desired. Serve the gravy with the turkey.