Herbed Whole-Oat Salad
- 1 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 large shallot if desired, minced
- 1 1/8 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin), or to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cucumber, peeled if desired, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, quartered
In a large saucepan of salted boiling water cook oats 25 minutes. Drain oats in a colander and rinse under cold water. Set colander over a kettle of boiling water (oats should not touch water) and steam oats, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and fry, 5 to 10 minutes (check water level in kettle occasionally, adding water if necessary).
While oats are cooking, in large bowl stir together onion, shallot, allspice, and salt. Stir in hot oats and cool. Stir in lemon juice, oil, parsley, mint, and salt and pepper to taste. Add cucumber and tomatoes and toss salad gently. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.