Hoisin Noodle Bowls, Roasted Mushroom Yakitori and Cucumber-Sesame Salad
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 4 limes, juiced, divided
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 pounds mixed fresh mushrooms - shiitake, oyster, crimini
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped into 2-inch lengths
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup pea pods, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger root, grated
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, available on Asian foods aisle of market
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce or hot sauce, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Handful mint leaves, finely chopped
Heat a large pot of water for pasta and salt it. Add spaghetti and cook to al dente. Heads up: you will need to reserve 1/2 cup starchy liquid before draining.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Combine the juice of 2 limes with rice wine vinegar, honey and sesame oil. Add cucumber and 1/4 red onion to dressing, season with salt, toss in dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds, reserve.
Coarsely chop mushrooms and place in a bowl. Coat the mushrooms in teriyaki sauce and combine with scallions, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and grill seasoning. Arrange on nonstick baking sheet and cook 20 minutes turning once.
Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over high heat. Add peppers, remaining red onion, pea pods, garlic and ginger and stir fry 2 minutes. Add the edamame and heat through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add hoisin, the juice of 2 limes, hot sauce and some starchy pasta liquid to form a sauce. Add drained spaghetti and toss to coat. Turn off heat and toss in cilantro and mint. Serve noodles in bowls, mushrooms and cucumber salad as side dishes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.