- Sauce base:
- 12 ounces plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/3 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic powder, for seasoning
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Vegetable Sauce:
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 ounce pine nuts
- 1 small eggplant
- 24 ounces pizza dough
- 1/3 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into chunks
- 1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into chunks
- 6 ounces cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 6 ounces cooked tuna, diced or shredded
- 2 ounces grated romano cheese
- Cooked tri-color pasta, for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
For the sauce base: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss to combine and set aside.
For the vegetables: In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine carrot, celery, zucchini, peppers, olive oil, pine nuts and the sauce base, and let simmer for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, bake the eggplant until softened, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then remove peel and mash flesh. Add to vegetables. Simmer until eggplant combines with vegetable sauce, about 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
For the pizza: stretch the dough out into a large pizza pan or baking sheet. Spread with the vegetable sauce. Top with mozzarella chunks, chicken, tuna and grated cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, then increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F and bake until bottom crust is brown and crispy, about 8 minutes.
If desired, garnish with cooked tri-color pasta.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.