- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3/4 pound oyster mushrooms, brushed clean and tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped epazote leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium to high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden. Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic and chiles and saute, stirring, for 1 minute more. Do not brown the garlic. Add the mushrooms, epazote, and salt and cover the pan tightly. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender, and serve at once.