Hopkins County Stew
- 10 whole chickens (approximately 4 pounds each)
- 5 gallons bottled water
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes (3 per pan)
- Seasoning salt (recommended: Lantana brand)
- Poultry seasoning
- 5 pounds onions, sliced or chopped
- 2 gallons canned tomatoes, stewed or whole peeled
- 2 (16-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (16-ounce) cans canned tomatoes, flavored with garlic
- 2 (16-ounce) cans tomatoes (recommended: Rotel brand)
- 20 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced into one inch cubes
- 2 bulbs garlic, peeled, chopped or minced
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- Chili powder, to taste
- 1 gallon canned corn, whole kernel
- 1 gallon canned corn, cream style
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook whole chickens with skin intact in a roaster pans filled with a gallon of water per 2 chickens. Sprinkle each chicken with seasoning salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and top with sliced or chopped onions. Add 6 chicken bouillon cubes to each pan. Reserve all broth to use when cooking stew.
Cook chickens for approximately an hour. Allow chickens to cool. Remove onions from chicken and transfer them into the broth. Remove skin from each chicken and discard. Bone all chickens.
(If you plan to cook the chickens ahead of time, they can be frozen and stored in freezer bags separate from the broth. Allow 24 hours to thaw before preparing stew.)
Stew Preparation: Heat the reserved broth to a boil in a cast iron kettle over an open fire. This will take about 30 minutes. Mix in onions and all cans of tomatoes. Continue heating for 30 additional minutes. Add diced potatoes, garlic, sugar and chili powder. Boil mixture for 1 hour. Add chickens and any additional spices or seasoning salts desired and let simmer for a few minutes. Finally, add the cans of kernel and cream-style corn just before serving as it will scorch if added too soon. Remove pot from fire when thoroughly heated.
Serve with saltine crackers and cheddar cheese.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.