- 3 cups long grain white rice
- Water to cover, plus 6 quarts water
- 2 cups raw almonds, unshelled
- 1/4 cup freshly ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, or to taste
Rinse the rice. Cover with water and soak for 12 hours. Drain.
Wash the almonds, cover with water, and soak for 6 to 8 hours. Shell the almonds and slip the skins off them. Discard the shells and skins.
Puree the rice in a blender. Set aside.
Puree the almonds, to a fine paste, in a blender.
Mix the rice, almond paste, cinnamon, sugar, and the 6 quarts water, in a large glass jar or clear pitcher. Refrigerate until chilled.
Serve the horchata in tall glasses over ice cubes.