Hot and Sour Vinaigrette
Recipe Courtesy of Executive Chef Michael Mina, Aqua
- 3 1/2 quarts lime juice
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 8 bunches scallions, green part only chopped
- 20 garlic cloves, smashed
- 20 shallots, sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 quarts rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 quart lemon juice
- 6 quarts orange juice
- 5 quarts pineapple juice
- 1 habenero pepper, seeds removed and sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 3 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 ounces soy sauce
In a small, non-reactive saucepan, mix two quarts lime juice with sugar. Cook to a light caramel color stage.
Add honey, scallion, garlic, shallot, ginger and vinegar. Reduce by half. Add lemon, orange and pineapple juices, and pepper. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Reduce by 1/4.
Strain vinaigrette and chill overnight. Before serving, stir in oils and soy sauce.