Hot Topping for Ice Cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon or allspice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Rum (or water)
- 8 buttery cookies like shortbread, ginger cookies or any cookie which goes well with apple, crumbled
- Vanilla or Butter Pecan ice cream
- Chopped walnuts or pecans for garnish, optional
In a small skillet heat butter until golden. Add apples, sugar and spices, 2 tablespoons or so rum (or water) cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Uncover and cook until liquid has been absorbed and apples begin to saute again in butter. Remove from heat and cool slightly. To assemble: add half of cookie crumbs in the bottom of a ramekin or dessert bowl or heatproof glass, top with some apples and ice cream, build up another layer or so and garnish with chopped nuts.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.