House Salad with Creole Mayonnaise Dressing
- 1 medium egg*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 1/4 cups canola, vegetable, or corn oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, cleaned and diced into 1? by 1? pieces
- 1 head bibb lettuce, cleaned and diced into 1? by 1? pieces
- 16 ounces pecan smoked bacon
- 4 eggs
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shaved
- 1 1/2 cups brioche bread croutons (recipe follows)?
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- BRIOCHE BREAD CROUTONS:
- 1/4 pound melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano,minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 2 cups Brioche bread (cut into 1/8? by 1?8? inch pieces
Place the egg, lemon juice, and onion into the workbowl of a food processor and puree. With the motor running, slowly add 1/2 the oil. Then add the hot sauce, pepper, and salt. Stop the motor, scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, and with the motor running again, slowly add the remaining oil. Taste and adjust salt. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 week.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.SALAD:
Dice bacon and bake in 250 degree oven until crisp, drain grease and hold warm.
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to slow simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill in ice-bath or under running cold water. Peel and dice.
Place lettuce in bowl. Add * of bacon, * of eggs. * of croutons and 2 cups Creole Mayonnaise. Mix well. Season to taste.BRIOCHE BREAD CROUTONS:
Mix all the herbs in butter. Pour butter over croutons. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in 200 degree oven for 2 hours.