- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, stemmed if woody or dry
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 8 cups arugula (about 3 bunches)
- 2 ounces Manchego or Parmesan
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushroom caps and cook until brown and tender, about 8 minutes. Stir the remaining olive oil, vinegar, onion, water, garlic, coriander, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add the oil mixture to the mushrooms and cook until tender and marinade has reduced, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and cool. Serve now or refrigerate for up to a week.
Meanwhile, put the almonds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, toss until evenly toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
Toss the arugula with the marinated mushrooms and marinade in a large bowl and divide among 4 plates. Shave the cheese and scatter the almonds over the top.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.