Huevos Frito con Pisto (Fried Eggs with Vegetables)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound Canadian bacon, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium Italian Roma tomatoes, skinned, seeded, chopped and juice reserved, or 8 ounces canned chopped tomatoes,
- with juice
- 1/2 small pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 chayote, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 to 8 eggs (one or two per person)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Grated Manchego, for garnish
- Crema (recipe below), for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the bacon and cook until brown. Add the onion and saute over medium heat. When the onions start to brown add the garlic. Cook a few minutes more, then add the peppers and cook 5 more minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juice and pumpkin or butternut squash and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and chayote. If the mixture is dry, add chicken stock or water). Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the mixture has formed a thick sauce. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Cook eggs as desired (poached, fried, over easy...), then garnish with parsley, cheese and a small dollop of crema.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.