Hungarian Beef Goulash
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
Buttered egg noodles or whole wheat bread, for serving
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and some salt and pepper and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Lower the heat (so the paprika won't burn and give a bitter taste or grainy texture in the final dish) and stir in the paprika.
Sprinkle the beef on all sides with salt and pepper. Return the pot to medium-high heat, and add the beef cubes to the pot, turning to cover the beef with the paprika-onion mixture, and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Add 2 cups cold water, cover with a lid, reduce the heat to medium and stew for 45 minutes.
Serve with buttered noodles or with whole grain bread to sop up the juices.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.