- Vegetable shortening or cooking oil for deep-frying
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
Begin heating the shortening or oil in a deep-fryer or cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, coriander, chili powder, and cayenne. Stir in the grated onion. Stir in the buttermilk, eggs, and corn until combined. The mixture will have the consistency of wet sand.
Heat the oil until it registers 375 degrees F on a deep-fat thermometer. (You can also test the heat by sprinkling a bit of cornmeal on the hot oil to see if it bubbles.) Scoop up rounded tablespoons of dough and carefully drop them into the fat (in batches, if necessary). Fry on one side until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and fry the other side until completely golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked hushpuppies to several layers of paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.