Hushpuppy-Battered Catfish Nuggets with Spicy Tartar Sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) package hushpuppy mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sliced pickled jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/4 pounds catfish fillets (about 4 fillets)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Spicy Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
- Spicy Tartar Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sliced pickled jalapeno peppers, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
In a medium bowl, stir together hushpuppy mix, milk, water, egg, jalapenos, hot pepper sauce and cayenne; let stand 5 minutes.
Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large deep skillet; heat oil to 350 degrees F.
Pat catfish fillets dry with paper towels, and cut into bite-size pieces. Dredge catfish pieces in flour, and then dip in hushpuppy batter mixture. Drop catfish pieces into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve with Spicy Tartar Sauce.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.Spicy Tartar Sauce:
Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Cook's Note: A garlic press works great for finely mincing the pickled jalapeno peppers.
Yield: 1 cup
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.