Hyeholde's Veal Rossini
- 4 (4 ounce) veal medallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces shallots
- Madeira wine
- 12 ounces veal demi-glace, substitute 6 ounces beef stock with 6 ounces chicken stock
- 1 ounce truffles or truffle oil, substitute mushrooms for truffles or truffle oil
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 4 (1-ounce) slices foie gras or chicken liver
- Fresh chopped parsley
Preheat oven: 400 degrees F.
Season the veal with salt and pepper. Preheat olive oil in saute pan and sear veal. Finish in oven for approximately 12 minutes until medium rare.
Remove from oven and let veal rest on a platter for 4 minutes. Add shallots to pan and sweat. Deglaze pan with Madeira wine. Add the demi-glace, salt, and pepper. Shave fresh truffles into sauce. Swirl butter into the sauce to finish.
Preheat saute pan to sear foie gras. Season foie gras with salt and pepper. Sear both sides. Plate the veal, 1 piece on each of 4 plates. Pour the sauce over the veal and finish the dish with seared foie gras and slice truffles over dish.
*Preparation for chicken liver (if foie gras is unavailable): Dust liver in flour and season with salt and pepper. Pan fry until crispy on both sides.
Recipe courtesy of Hyeholde Restaurant, PA