Cape Cod Chopped Salad
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon, such as Niman Ranch
- 8 ounces baby arugula
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped (see note)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons good apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup good olive oil
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and lay the bacon slices on the rack. Roast the bacon for about 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, apple, walnuts, cranberries, and blue cheese.
Chop the bacon in large pieces and add it to the salad. Toss the salad with just enough dressing to moisten. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss well. Serve immediately.
2008, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen