Chocolate Orange Mousse
- 6 ounces good semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces good bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 extra-large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- Whipped Cream, recipe follows, for decoration
- Mandarin oranges, drained, for decoration
- Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups (1 pint) cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dash pure vanilla extract
Combine the 2 chocolates, orange liqueur, 1/4 cup water, and the vanilla in a heat-proof bowl. Set it over a pan of simmering water just until the chocolate melts. Cool completely to room temperature. Whisk in the orange zest and butter until combined.
Place the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes, or until very thick and pale yellow. With the mixer on low speed, add the chocolate mixture. Transfer to a large bowl.
Place 1 cup of egg whites (save or discard the rest), the salt, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until firm but not dry. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then fold the rest in carefully with a rubber spatula.
Without cleaning the bowl or whisk, whip the heavy cream and the remaining tablespoon of sugar until firm. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Pour the mousse into individual dishes or an 8-cup serving bowl. Chill and decorate with whipped cream and oranges. Serve with extra whipped cream on the side.
Whip the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When it starts to thicken, add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until the cream forms stiff peaks. Don't overbeat, or you'll end up with butter!
Whipped Cream:2 cups (1 pint) cold heavy cream2 tablespoons sugarDash pure vanilla extract Whip the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When it starts to thicken, add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until the cream forms stiff peaks. Don't overbeat, or you'll end up with butter!