French Onion Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds yellow onions, halved, and sliced 1/4-inch thick (8 cups)
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup medium-dry sherry
- 1/2 cup brandy or Cognac
- 1 1/2 cups good dry white wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups veal stock
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan
In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, saute the onions with the butter and bay leaf for 20 minutes, until the onions turn a rich golden brown color. Deglaze the pan with the sherry and brandy and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer uncovered for 15 more minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.