Green Green Spring Vegetables
- 1/4 pound French string beans (haricots verts), ends removed
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas, ends and strings removed
- 1/4 pound asparagus, ends removed
- 1/2 pound broccolini, ends removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1 minute only. Lift the beans from the water with a slotted spoon or sieve and immerse them in a bowl of ice water. Add the snap peas to the same boiling water and cook for 1 minute, until al dente, adding them to the ice water and the beans. Cut the asparagus into 2-inch lengths diagonally and cook in the boiling water for 2 minutes, and add to the ice water. Cut the broccolini in half, boil for 1 minute, and add to the ice water. When all the vegetables in the water are cold, drain well.
When ready to serve, heat the butter and oil in a very large saute pan or large pot. Saute the shallots over medium heat for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the drained vegetables to the shallots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper and toss. Cook just until the vegetables are heated through. Serve hot.
2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved
Alton's Breakfast Carrot Cake(00:03:17)
How to Make 'Whoopeeps'(00:02:18)
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray