- Good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 large basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 3 large pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 3 large pieces
- 1/2 small ficelle, cut into 1-inch thick slices
Prepare a charcoal grill with hot coals. Brush the grilling rack with olive oil.
In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, mustard, vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
When the grill is ready, brush 1 side of the onion slices and the peppers with olive oil. Place them, olive oil side down, on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Brush the other side with olive oil, turn them over and continue cooking an additional 4 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the grill and place on a cutting board. Slice the peppers 1/2-inch thick, separate the onion rings and add them both to the cucumber mixture.
Brush the bread slices on both sides with olive oil and toast them on the grill until golden. Add them to the cucumber mixture. Pour the reserved vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss together. Serve warm.
2008, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay