- 2 large navel oranges, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 6 to 8 apples)
- 3 pounds sweet red apples, such as Macoun, McIntosh, or Winesap (about 6 to 8 apples)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the zest and juice of the oranges and lemon in a large bowl. Peel, quarter, and core the apples (reserving the peel of 2 of the red apples) and toss them in the juice. Pour the apples, reserved apple peel, and juice into a nonreactive Dutch oven or enameled iron pot. Add the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and allspice and cover the pot. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until all the apples are soft. Remove and discard the red apple peel. Mix with a whisk until smooth, and serve warm or at room temperature.
2007, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved