- Zest and juice of 2 large navel oranges
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples (6 to 8 apples)
- 3 pounds sweet red apples, such as Macoun, McIntosh, or Winesap (6 to 8 apples)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place the zest and juice of the oranges and lemon in a large bowl. Peel, quarter, and core the apples and toss them in the juice. Pour the apples and juice into a nonreactive Dutch oven or enameled iron pot. Add the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and allspice and cover the pot. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until all the apples are soft. Mix with a whisk until smooth. Serve warm or at room temperature.
PER SERVING (1/2 cup): Calories 114; Total Fat 2.5 grams; Saturated Fat 1.5 grams; Protein 1 gram; Total Carbohydrate 25 grams; Sugar: 21 grams; Fiber 3 grams; Cholesterol 6 milligrams; Sodium 3 milligrams