- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (2 onions)
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade, heated
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
In a large (10 to 12-inch) saute pan, cook the onions in butter on medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Don't rush this step; it makes all the difference when the onions are well cooked.
Sprinkle the flour into the pan, whisk in, then add the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock and Cognac, and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes, until thickened. Add the cream, if desired, and serve.
2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All Rights Reserved