Mache with Warm Brie and Apples
- 1 French baguette, sliced 1/2 inch thick diagonally
- 12 ounces good French Brie, cut into 4 wedges
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons roasted and salted pistachios
- 4 ounces mache leaves (8 to 10 ounces with roots attached)
- 1 tablespoon syrupy aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
Arrange the 4 wedges of Brie snugly in one layer in a glass or ceramic baking dish. Drizzle the honey over the wedges and then scatter the pistachios over the top. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes (depending on the ripeness of the Brie) until the Brie just begins to ooze but isn't melted. Be careful-it happens fast!
Place the mache in a large bowl and toss it gently with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide the salad among 4 large salad plates and place a piece of the warm Brie with the pistachios in the center of each plate. Place a quarter of the apple slices on each plate fanned out on one side of the Brie. Place 2 or 3 slices of toasted baguette on the other side of the Brie and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the honey still in the baking dish and serve immediately.