Penne with Five Cheeses
This recipe comes from George Germon and Johanne Killeen and their wonderful cookbook Cucina Simpatica.
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 20 min
- 10 min
- 6 servings
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes in thick tomato puree
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded imported Italian fontina (1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup crumbled Italian Gorgonzola (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 pound imported penne rigate pasta
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil in a stockpot.
Combine all the ingredients except the penne and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Drop the penne into the boiling water and parboil for 4 minutes. Drain well in a colander and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl, tossing to combine. Divide the pasta mixture among 6 shallow ceramic gratin dishes (1 1/2 to 2 cup capacity). Dot with the butter and bake until bubbly and brown on top, 7 to 10 minutes.