Pita Stuffed with Tabbouleh and Shards of Feta
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound feta cheese
- 4 pita breads, cut in half
Place the bulgur in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about an hour.
Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper; mix well. Season to taste and serve, or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.
Stuff the tabbouleh and feta into the pita breads.
2008, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved