- 1 large eggplant (1 1/2 pounds)
- Good olive oil
- 4 ounces jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup large green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted pita triangles, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
Place the whole eggplant on the pan, prick with a fork in several places, and rub with olive oil. Roast for 45 to 50 minutes, until the eggplant is very soft when pierced with a knife. Set aside to cool. Halve the eggplant, peel, and discard the skin. Place the eggplant, peppers, and olives in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until coarsely chopped. Pour into a mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onion and red pepper flakes and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until the onion is lightly browned. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, and add to the eggplant mixture. Add the parsley, pine nuts, lemon juice, capers, tomato paste, vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to develop. Taste for seasonings and serve at room temperature with toasted pita triangles.