Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup long-grain wild rice (6 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place the wild rice in a medium pot with 4 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes, until the rice is very tender. Drain well and place the rice back in the pot. Cover and allow to steam for 10 minutes.
While the rice is still warm, place it in a mixing bowl. Peel the oranges with a sharp knife, removing all the white pith. Cut between the membranes and add the orange sections to the bowl with the rice. Add the olive oil, orange juice, raspberry vinegar, grapes, pecans, cranberries, scallions, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper. Allow to sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Taste for seasonings and serve at room temperature.
2010, Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?, All Rights Reserved