Winter Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 1 (15 - ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or canned broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup half - and - half
- Creme fraiche, grated Gruyere, or croutons (see Note), for serving (optional)
Heat the butter and oil in a heavy - bottomed stockpot, add the onions, and cook over medium - low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the pumpkin puree, butternut squash, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium - low heat for about 20 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender. Process the mixture through the medium blade of a food mill. Return to the pot, add the half - and - half, and heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add another teaspoon of salt. Serve hot with garnishes, if desired.
Cook's Note: To serve with croutons, remove the crusts from 2 slices of white bread, cut them in 1/2-inch cubes, and saute them in 1 tablespoon of butter until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Amaretti Cookies, Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paneer (Indian Cheese) Croutons and Turmeric Oil, Superb Squash Soup with the Best Parmesan Croutons, Potato Soup Recipes, Easy Asian, Broccoli Soup Recipes, Vegetable Soup Recipes, Easy Pasta, Easy Snack
Thank you! your flag was submitted.