Winter Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 1 (15 - ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or canned broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup half - and - half
- Creme fraiche, grated Gruyere, or croutons (see Note), for serving (optional)
Heat the butter and oil in a heavy - bottomed stockpot, add the onions, and cook over medium - low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the pumpkin puree, butternut squash, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium - low heat for about 20 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender. Process the mixture through the medium blade of a food mill. Return to the pot, add the half - and - half, and heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add another teaspoon of salt. Serve hot with garnishes, if desired.
Cook's Note: To serve with croutons, remove the crusts from 2 slices of white bread, cut them in 1/2-inch cubes, and saute them in 1 tablespoon of butter until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paneer (Indian Cheese) Croutons and Turmeric Oil, Butternut Squash Soup with Chipotle Cream, Apple-Cheddar-Squash Soup, Squash, Mushroom Soup Recipes, Bean Soup Recipes, Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes, Butternut Squash Soup Recipes, Squash Casserole Recipes