- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tablespoon blood orange zest
- 1/2 tablespoon ruby grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon blood orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ruby grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
Butter and lightly sugar 4 ramekins (approximately 6-ounce size). In a mixer, combine yolks, buttermilk, juice and zest and beat until well combined. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add sifted flour, sugar and salt until just combined. Beat egg whites with a whisk attachment until you get stiff peaks then combine the two mixtures by gently folding them together, a little at a time. Divide evenly amongst ramekins then bake in a water bath - set ramekins in a roasting tray and fill with water halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
Bake in the oven for 60 minutes until the top springs back when gently pressed and the cakes have a nice light golden color. Allow to cool slightly, then carefully invert onto a plate.
Ginger snap tuiles:
- 16 round ginger snap cookies
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
Break up cookies into pieces and place in food processor. Pulse until you have a fine crumb, then add butter, salt, molasses, sugar and egg white. Pulse again until you have a smooth batter, then use an off-set spatula to smear out a thin layer on a cookie sheet (if you are not using a non-stick tray, grease it with butter or line with a silpat). Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tray to cool on the bench top. Break up into individual sized pieces before serving.
Yield: make aprox 10 pieces
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- A double pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Add sugar, and butter to a sauce pot and set over medium heat. Reduce until thick and syrupy - about 7 minutes then remove from heat. Add cream (be careful as it will bubble up) then stir and season with salt.