Individual Oyster Tarts
- Cornmeal Crust:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Oyster Filling:
- 1 bunch leeks, cleaned and chop white part only into small dice to yield about 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 dozen oysters, shucked, reserved in oyster liquor
Cornmeal Crust: Combine flour, cornmeal, and butter in food processor and add water in a fine stream, processing constantly until the dough forms a ball. Shape into disc and wrap in plastic. Chill for about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Shape into 6 balls, roll into circles and line individual 4 1/2-inch tart molds. Place on baking sheet and prick with fork. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.
Oyster Filling: In a saute pan, sweat leeks and herbs in butter until leeks are soft. Add sherry and let reduce until almost dry. Add cream and paprika. Just before serving, add oysters and liquor, and cook until oysters just begin to curl.
When the oysters have cooked, pour the mixture into the tart shells and serve immediately.