Bananas with Orange and Rum Caramel
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 1/4 cup orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed from 1 orange)
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the bananas in the butter, cut side down. Pour the sugar around the bananas and let it cook until it starts to caramelize, moving the bananas around a bit to ensure even browning.
Remove the skillet from heat; add in the rum, and orange juice. Return the skillet to heat and let reduce for a minute. Turn the bananas and let the juices reduce for another minute.
Remove the skillet from heat and swirl in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008