- 8 ounces foie gras
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 duck breast
Light teriyaki sauce:
- 7 ounces dashi broth, recipe follows
- 1 ounce mirin
- 1/2 ounce light soy sauce
- 1/2 ounce regular soy sauce
- 1/2 ounce sugar
- 2 to 3 ounces cornstarch, mixed with water to make a slurry
- 2 teaspoons fresh wasabi
In a small saute pan, sear the duck breast, skin side down for 4 minutes. Remove from the pan, let cool slightly, and slice thinly. Coat both sides of the duck slices with cornstarch.
In a saucepan, combine dashi broth, mirin, light soy sauce, soy sauce, and sugar and bring to boil. Using cooking chopsticks or tongs, lightly cook the duck breast in boiling teriyaki sauce, maybe 5 seconds per slice. Place 2 or 3 pieces of duck on top of each of the steamed foie gras dishes.
Thicken the teriyaki sauce with cornstarch and water, if necessary, and then pour over duck. Finish with wasabi.
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece kombu (dried kelp)
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup katsuo (dried bonito flake)